Steps to follow if you have a non-locking GPS:
- Menu / Tools / manage aGPS state.
- Select 'Reset' to clear the internal state of the GPS.
- Select 'Download' to re-download the assistance data. You will need an active internet connection at this step.
- Close the GPS Status application for 10 seconds.
- Go outside and find a spot where large part of the sky is visible.
- Make sure you have the 'Keep the screen on' settings turned on (in Menu / Settings / Display & Tools'.
- Let the program run and try to acquire your GPS position for at least 15 minutes.
- If the above steps do not resolve the GPS issue then you most likely have a hardware problem with the phone.
- Certain phone cases block the GPS signal (remove the phone from it, if you are not sure.)
- Certain windshields may block the GPS signal inside cars (those that have metallic coating to keep the heat out.)
- Certain phones (usually CDMA) turn off the GPS chip if you put the phone into flight mode.
- If you travel a long distance without turning on the GPS (i.e. flight) you can expect much longer fix times at your destination initially.
- Obviously you cannot expect the GPS to work in your basement! (yes I'm serious)